Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

John the Baptist Prepares the Way

Tuesday post by Diane Ward

Daily Scripture Reading Matthew 3:1-12 (NIV)

John the Baptist Prepares the Way

(Matthew 3:1-3) In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah. A voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him. (Matthew 3:17)"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

The traditional Mediterranean culture of Jesus’ time stressed honor and shame. In baptism, Jesus
relinquished his rightful honor to embrace our shame. After Jesus' public act of humility, God publicly identified Jesus as his own son. Matthew 3:17 (NIV) “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”

Baptism is not a means to repentance but rather an act of obedience that follows our choice to turn our lives toward Jesus in repentance. Baptism declares our faith, shares Christ’s burial and resurrection symbolizing death to our old life. Baptism announces and celebrates our new life in Christ, and our inclusion in God’s family.

Imprinted on my heart forever is the morning I was baptized. The pastor asked me if I had given my heart to Jesus and repented of my sin. As I said “yes” he covered my nose and mouth and dipped me into the water. Although I was a bit scared at age 7 of being lowered into the water, my heart simply knew that I wanted to belong to Jesus. The pastor shook my hand and welcomed me as an “ageless and equal member” into the family of God.

Is baptism optional for the believer? Let’s look at Matthew 28:19. “ Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

Come on in, the water’s just fine!







No comments: