Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A Lesson in Confession


Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:16)

This verse is a stumbling block to me. 

Isn’t it enough that I confess my sins to God? I’m not Catholic, after all. I believe in salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, for as Romans 10:13 proclaims, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Why then need I confess my sins to others?

Consider that other alone: Scripture alone. The Bible - the whole Bible! - is the inspired word of God and the sole infallible rule of faith and practice. That includes James 5:16. Further, this is not about justification; it’s about sanctification. We do not confess our sins to each other so that we may be forgiven or justified; we confess our sins to each other so that we may be healed.

So why don’t I do it?

Because people would think less of me. Confident though I may be in God’s amazing grace and unconditional love, I don’t fully trust His church to mirror His character. I fear their haughty eyes and self-righteous condemnation. I desire their approval, their admiration even, so under a veil of righteousness I hide my sinful heart.

Who then do I aim to please - God or man? Who do I glorify - God or self?

I must confess I have sought to please man that I might be glorified. This verse is a stumbling block to me because I have a pride problem. Pray for me so that I may be healed.

No comments: