Pageviews past week

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Put Off, Put On


Ephesians 4:25-32

When the seasons change, I rotate my wardrobe.  I put the warm winter clothes in the upstairs closet, and I bring down the summery lightweight dresses, shorts and shirts.  But before I put the clothes in storage, I take a look at everything.  What haven't I worn because it's too big...too small...something I bought on impulse (it was on sale!) that I have nothing to wear it with.....That pile of clothing goes to Goodwill.  It's always a good feeling to take inventory and clear out my clutter at the start of a new season.

In these verses, Paul is telling us to take a 'character inventory.'  What should we clear out of our 'character closet?'

vs. 24 - put off falsehood
vs. 26 - don't sin in anger
vs. 28 - don't steal
vs. 29 - put off unwholesome talk
vs. 30 - don't grieve the Holy Spirit
vs. 31 - put off bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, and every form of malice


Yes, throw those traits out of the closet.  And whatever you do, DON'T pass those onto Goodwill!  Throw them in the garbage!  And yes, it is far, far easier to hold onto anger, bitterness, and rage.  That feeling of 'I deserve to be mad - I shouldn't be treated that way' - is so easy to harbor.  How can we replace it?  It takes a lifetime, my friends, it takes a lifetime.

Here are some ideas of how to purge these character flaws:

vs. 24 - speak truthfully to your neighbor.  The body of Christ is the place to come for love, for forgiveness, for a fresh start.
vs. 28 - do something useful with your hands.  In the early church, if you didn't work, you didn't eat.  How can we make a meaningful contribution to our church family?  God designed us for work.  Seek counsel for how you can best serve others.
vs. 29 - substitute building others up instead of unwholesome talk.  Mark Twain once said he could live for a month on a good compliment.  While Mark Twain isn't inspired scripture, there is truth in that statement.  Build each other up and God is glorified.
vs. 32 - be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Chew on these verses.  Daily, ask God to help you be kind and compassionate.  And give all the glory to Him!

No comments: