Pageviews past week

Friday, September 21, 2018

I Am Loved—How Do I Pass It On?


Reading: I John 4:12-19

 
“It is true that no human being has ever had a direct vision of God. Yet, if we love each other God does actually live within us, and his love grows in us towards perfection. And …the guarantee of our living in him and his living in us is the share of his own Spirit which he gives us (I John 4: 12-13, Phillips).”
 
A couple of months ago, I wrote a Daily Bible Blast on this same portion of scripture [“The Narthex Game,” June 29, 2018], emphasizing how I finally began to believe that God actually does love me.  Today, I’m thinking about how I might pass love on to others. Verse 19 says that “We love because he first loved us.”
 
That’s the answer, then. If I know I am loved, I want to extend it others. Sounds simple enough, and it’s quite easy to do – for those who are easy to love. But what about fellow believers who are difficult to like, those who are contentious, disruptive, uncooperative, etc? God calls us to love all in the body of Christ, and somehow we need to learn to love the unlovely – something definitely not a natural thing to be inclined to do. So, I may want to love others because I am loved, but how am I able to go beyond my “natural inclination” to love only those who love me or who are easy to love?
 
God has given us a “share of his Spirit” that guarantees that we are living in him and he in us (vs 13).  We rely on his Spirit in us to love others – especially all our brothers and sisters he places in our midst (our local church body), those we rub shoulders with in ways that can rub us the wrong way! May we allow his Spirit to work in our hearts to pass on love from our Lord to his children, that we might live in unity.

 

Dear, Lord, thank you for giving us your Spirit to live in us, helping us love in ways we never thought we could.  Help me to willingly pass on your love and care to my brothers and sisters, not only for their sake but also that those who don’t know you yet will see and “know we are Christians by our love.” Amen.

No comments: