Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 20, 2018

My Lovable Enemy

The Message version of this scripture text is wonderful and revealing

“You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. (Matthew 5:43-44)

Love your enemies! How counter intuitive is that? It certainly is not instinctual, but God does command us to do this. What might that look like? There are a few questions that come to mind right away.
  • Who is my enemy? "Someone who gives you a hard time..."
  • Why are they the enemy? "they are good and bad, nice and nasty..."
  • How do I love them? "respond with the energies of prayer..."
  • Why should I love them? "Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst..."

Is the opposing team my enemy? Is the neighbor who installed a 6' fence around his yard my enemy? How about the person who hit my car and left the scene? Is he or she my enemy? How about those people who don't agree with me, my politics, my life-style, my profession?  Just who is the enemy...and why?

Is it the unsolicited phone caller telling you that your vehicle warranty is about to expire, but they will renew it for you over the phone...or is the third caller of the day telling you they are concerned about your student loan...or my favorite - "I am calling from Microsoft and we have detected a virus on your computer..." These unpleasant interruptions feel like attacks from the enemy. They hint of wrong doing or at the very least untruths.

By not allowing these intrusions to spoil our day, by maybe even speaking a kind or gentle word to them, we are loving our enemies. I must try that the next time I receive a call.

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.”
― G.K. Chesterton

“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.” (Matthew 5:48 MSG)


Matthew 5:43-48

No comments: