Pageviews past week

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Thou Shalt Not Judge … Never, Ever, Ever!



1Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Very popular, very acceptable. I’ll do what I want. You’ll do what you want. Neither of us will dare correct the other or insinuate that one (or both) of us is a sinner. 

2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

So if I ignore everyone else’s sin, then they’ll have to ignore my sin. Or else … the judgment of God! 

3Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Huh? My brother is perfect the way he is. I do not judge him. And what is this plank of which you speak, Jesus?

4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 

What speck? What plank? We’re perfect the way we are. Where are you going with this, Jesus?!

5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

And there’s the issue! We were never called to ignore sin in our own lives or each other’s lives. Quite to the contrary, the Scriptures read: “I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received,” (Eph 4:1) and, “If someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently.” (Gal 6:1)

We are called to soberly evaluate our sin, repent, and gently restore our brothers and sisters in Christ. Are you doing this?

No comments: