Pageviews past week

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Ledger Legacy

When I was growing up, if I wanted something that cost money, I asked my Mom. That’s because my Dad grew up on a farm in Iowa where money was really tight. He learned very quickly how to count pennies to make ends meet.

He transferred that lesson to me. I still remember him sitting at his desk almost every night, writing entries into his ledger. He probably recorded every penny spent and every penny earned. I’m guessing he had columns for groceries, car, the house and probably one for me, since I was always getting Mom to buy me stuff.

However, he never sat down with me and explained his ledger. And yet, almost from the time I went to college I kept my own ledger. And before getting married, I put one together to make sure we could afford such a big step. I learned how to do this by watching my Dad over eighteen years. I guess you could say, I was his disciple.

God spoke these words to Moses to prepare His people for the Promised Land.

These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be [written] on your heart and mind. You shall teach them diligently to your children [impressing God’s precepts on their minds and penetrating their hearts with His truths] and shall speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up.    Deuteronomy 6:6-9 AMP

These verses were written to parents about raising their children. But they’ve been applied to rabbis and disciples; rabbis like Jesus and disciples like Peter, James and John… and you and me.

When Jesus first called his disciples he said, “Take up your cross daily and follow me”. When he left his disciples for the last time he said, “Go make disciples… teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Being a disciple is a lifetime, two-way street. First you are a disciple; then you disciple others.

My Dad left a ledger legacy that he passed on to me, and in turn, I passed on to my daughter. What does it mean to “make disciples”? Do like my Dad did; set an example, live it out daily, and talk about it. When you do that, your children, your neighbors, your co-workers will see what it means to be a disciple, and those with faith will follow.

No comments: