Pageviews past week

Thursday, May 23, 2019

I Choose Love


When I think back to a time before Jesus was the most important part of my life, there was so much brokenness and emptiness. My spirit was deflated and I was defeated. I didn't even think life was worth living and often questioned my purpose. Then, everything changed, not overnight, but through a series of happenings and interactions with God's people.

I used to think of love as a feeling; a strong feeling which overpowered and surrounded one's life. If I was loved, everything was okay. If not, then it wasn't okay in any way. Then I learned that love is a choice. While I didn't believe it at first. before long I came to realize that it is true. I can choose to love or not. I can choose to allow people into my life, my inner circle, or I can reject them. But it is a choice, not a feeling.

1 John 4:7-8 (MSG) 
 My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God.
 The person who refuses to love doesn't know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can't know him if you don't love.

Studying and reading scripture has brought me to a different place, a new understanding. God is love and if I believe in God, then I believe in love. Choosing to love people even when they don't deserve my affections is Godly behavior. Allowing God's Spirit to influence my life and actions is a positive change and one that will make life better than you can imagine. 

This became a reality for me once I learned that my life doesn't have to be perfect. The people in my life certainly aren't perfect any more than I am. But I can choose to love them -- imperfections and all. Any they have the same choice.




No comments: