Pageviews past week

Friday, September 20, 2019

Be a Blessing

Genesis 30:25-36

In today’s reading we see that because of the care Jacob took with Laban’s livestock, the flock increased greatly.  Laban even acknowledges that he has been blessed by Jacob.  “I have learned by divination that the Lord has blessed me because of you” (v. 27).

Jacob wants to return to his homeland, but Laban begs him to stay and they enter into an agreement that will keep Jacob there.  A few verses later we see that Laban doesn’t fulfill his end of the deal and cheats Jacob even after he praised him for his hard work.

Tomorrow’s passage will explore Jacob’s reaction and how he handles Laban’s betrayal, but today I want to focus on being a blessing and helping others increase their “flocks”, whatever form that may take.

To have someone say that you have been a blessing is powerful.  (And 99% of the time they mean it and won’t try to cheat you afterwards.)  To live as a blessing is a noble thing.  Jesus lived his entire life as a blessing to others and we are called to live by his example.

Am I always a blessing?  Certainly not, but I do strive to serve others and help them in their hour of need. It’s what community does.  Please don’t get discouraged by the “me first” world we live in.  There is a community out there looking to be a blessing and I hope you’ll be a part of it.

Father, thank you for sending your Son to take care of your flock.  Help me be a blessing to others and increase greatly Your good works.  Amen

No comments: