Pageviews past week

Thursday, December 12, 2019

A Legacy of Goodness

As I get older, I sometimes consider what my legacy might be. What will I be remembered for? Who will I be remembered by? 

But, more important, what might I pass down to my folks that has value. Not monetary value - there won't be much of that, but perhaps a legacy of goodwill. Maybe if I ever start (and then finish) the book I've always dreamed of writing, that will be my gift. They can say, "She fulfilled her dream."

But this verse really is what we should be remembered for: doing good, being rich in good deeds, and generous with a willingness to share. I have been spending a little bit of time on the Ancestry.com website. I'm trying to learn about my family a few generations back. It is easy to get lost for hours.

This family tree research is fun, but it doesn't really tell anything about my people, only vital statistics. There is no family history, no interesting stories, heroic deeds or even the hint of an outlaw in the background to spice it up a bit. 

So, how do we pass on our goodness so future family members will know we followed Jesus? Much of my history will be found in my journals. But how else can they know that my faith mattered? Love is a legacy that cannot be denied. Just like we remember Aunt Daisy for her cantankerous ways, we can be remembered for how we treated others who needed us. We might not discover these tidbits on Ancestry, but we will hear about it at family gatherings. Those we loved well will not forget. And just maybe they will pay it forward.

Comment below or email here.




No comments: