Pageviews past week

Monday, February 17, 2014

It's All About God

Today we have a Guest writer posting to Daily Bible Blast, Liwen Ho. Liwen and I met through Proverbs 31 Ministry writers group.  Liwen gives thanks to God for His redeeming love, her amazing family, tropical beaches and white chocolate. She believes in change and blogs about her life as a recovering perfectionist at 2square2behip

*******************************************************************************
As Peter traveled about the country, he went to visit the Lord’s people who lived in Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, who was paralyzed and had been bedridden for eight years. “Aeneas,” Peter said to him, “Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and roll up your mat.” Immediately Aeneas got up. All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

My young children enjoy role playing for fun; sometimes they pretend to be mom and dad, other times they take on the roles of teacher and student. One day I overheard them engaged in a new portrayal. My daughter walked over to her brother, pretended to give him something and said, “God bless you.” My son replied with a beaming smile, “Thank you! God bless you, too.”

I asked them what they were playing this time and my daughter answered, “I gave him money because he didn't have any.” I realized they had learned to imitate what my husband and I do when we encounter people in need. I smiled to observe my children practicing generosity and grace. Even more, my heart rejoiced to know they understood the source of our blessings.

This passage from Acts reinforces the truth that it’s all about God. When Peter told Aeneas the atrophied muscles in his lifeless legs had regained their strength, he did not say, “I, Peter, heal you.” Instead he declared, “Jesus Christ heals you.” What made Peter automatically point to Jesus as the source of this miracle? During his time as one of the twelve disciples, he came to understand he could do nothing without God. He had been able to walk on water only because Jesus had called him to, and when his faith had faltered, it was Jesus who had saved him (Matthew 14:22-33). This is why Peter believed without a doubt Jesus had healed Aeneas. Likewise, Aeneas acknowledged God, not Peter, as his healer. The text reads that those who witnessed the new spring in his step “turned to the Lord” (vs. 35), not to anyone else.


Like Peter and Aeneas, may we also give glory to God for His blessings, whether as a giver or receiver of them. Let us remember it is not about us for “every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” (James 1:17, NIV). 

Acts 9:32-35

No comments: