Pageviews past week

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Love Doesn't Fear

Acts 9:36-43 (NIV) All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.  Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, "Tabitha, get up." She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up.  He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called the believers and the widows and presented her to them alive.  This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.   

Dorcas made a strong impression on her community.  This woman commanded the love and respect of many.  She spent her life doing good, serving the poor in her hometown, concentrating on widows.

When she became ill, the disciples in Joppa didn't hesitate to reach out to Peter who was in a nearby town.  They implored him to come and try to provide a cure for this woman of God. But, by the time Peter arrived, she had died.

Dorcas was a friend to widows and those friends stood by her.  When she became ill, they were with her going so far as to call upon someone who could help, a disciple who had been known to pray to Jesus for healing people.

This passage makes me ask about my own faith. I know Jesus cares about my well-being and that He is capable of curing any illness I might encounter. But, do I really believe He is available to me, is close enough to hear my prayers? I am working on trust and realize if and when I truly trust, my faith with be obvious and there will be no more fear.   Perfect love casts out fear. (1John 4:18)

Acts 9:36-43

No comments: