Pageviews past week

Monday, September 10, 2018

Show me your ways, Lord,

Teach me your paths.
 
As followers of God, one might think that we do not sin or ever make mistakes.  With God’s favor upon us, we should be able to live perfect lives, right?  We should be able to simply practice what we preach and never seem like hypocrites when we fall short.
          If only our faith in God was a guarantee of never stumbling.  If only we could be certain of God’s ways and possess the strength to always resist temptation.  Instead, we gradually let go of the spiritual rewards that God promises and make choices that take us in our own direction.  We lose our way and often find ourselves stuck with consequences of our own making.  But because we are followers of God, when (not if) we take a
misstep, we can return to Him, unashamed!

God is faithful.  He meets us where we are.  We can call on Him even if we have done terrible things.  We can turn to Him even after a period of going it alone.  He does not begrudge us for the detours that we make.  He responds with grace and forgiveness.  He is never disappointed or discouraged by our behavior.  He welcomes us with open arms.  At any time, we can ask Him to take the lead again and show us His way of truth and light.
God is merciful.  We can take refuge in Him and trust and obey. So often we think we know what we "need", when what we need is to pray and listen for God to speak  Can we give it to God and resist taking control of our situation by doing something even if it’s wrong?  Patiently waiting is how we place our hope in God.  And our choice not to act is how we act on faith in God to show us his ways.

Psalm 25:1-5
Psalm 25
In you, Lord my God,
    I put my trust.
I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    nor let my enemies triumph over me.
No one who hopes in you
    will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
    who are treacherous without cause.

Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.





No comments: