Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Follow Which Leader? -- 2 Peter 2

I remember playing a game called Follow the Leader. This popular past time for the kids in my neighborhood was a game which involved lining up behind the 'leader' and then mimicking his or her every move. I have not thought about this game for 50 years, but when I read the second chapter of 2 Peter, it came to mind.

Often, when playing, the leader would try to trip up his followers by doing something or taking us somewhere we were not allowed to go. If we did not do just what the leader did, we were considered “out”. As a young person I never wanted to be "out", so I often found myself in trouble as a result.

But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. (2 Peter 2:1-2)

I have since learned not every leader should be followed, not every authority figure is headed in the direction I need to be going. When deciding whom to follow I am reminded of words my grandfather used to say to me when he recognized the trouble I would find if I did not think for myself. "Monkey see, monkey do," he would tell me. Today these words mean that I need to follow Jesus, the one true leader and not mimic the behavior of those around me.

To read all the text for today go to Biblegate and 2 Peter 2. To return to this posting hit the back arrow.

We welcome your comments or if you prefer you may connect with us via email here.

No comments: