Pageviews past week

Friday, October 22, 2010

Playing Favorites James 2:1-13

I read today scripture verse and don’t quite know what to say. On one hand I’m unable to relate, because I can’t say I have ever been in a church that would show such blatant favoritism between someone who is rich and another person who is poor, on the other hand I know I show favoritism every day. I may not shun the person in rags who enters the church but I show favoritism between those in the church who I connect with and those whose personality clashes with mine.

I am more apt to go out of my way for a person, who I care for and though I hate to admit it, I will avoid contact with someone where more grace is required from me. As I read today’s passage I can see that God clearly hates favoritism. James 2:8-9 says, “If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself,’ you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.”

It doesn’t get much clearer than that does it? If you find that you show favoritism won’t you join me in asking God to change our heart?

Heavenly Father,
I confess to You today that I am guilty of playing favorites. Help me to see everybody as You see them. Show me when I am breaking Your law. Help me extend grace to all those around me. Help me please. In Jesus name, Amen.
Read the entire passage on Biblegateway James 2:1-13

No comments: