Pageviews past week

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Test the Spirits - 1 John 4:1-6

I had a man at my house the other day to install a satellite system so I could get television reception in my new Northwood’s home.  He asked me if my husband was retired.  I am hesitant to let a total stranger know that I am alone in this big house, so I simply responded with, "We bought this place last year knowing it would be three years before retirement."

It bothered me that I wasn't straight forward with the young man, as he was just trying to be friendly.  A short time later when he was up in the loft installing a unit he asked me if I was Christian.  I said yes and he shared he saw my Bible lying open and felt safe to ask.  It was then it felt okay to share with him that I was alone.  He told me I was never alone because I was a Christian.  Wow - I did not expect that blessing.

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God," (1 John 4:1-2)

Living in a world where we seldom hear someone profess Jesus Christ as their Savior it was a real treat to hear this young man tell me that with Jesus I am never alone.  Then he invited me to his church on Sunday.  I need to be willing to be used by God like this stranger did.

Read the 1 John 4:1-6 text here.

No comments: