Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

To the ends of the Earth - Acts 1:1-9

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Above are Jesus' final words to his disciples while He was still on earth. They followed a question by those gathered, asking if Jesus was going to restore the Kingdom. It seems they were looking to have things move quickly.  I can relate, when I hear a message and feel compelled to act, I don't think to wait and pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance or wisdom.  I just want to do something.  I am beginning to realize that praying and waiting is doing something.

Jesus is instructing these men to stay put, not to go anywhere until He sends His Holy Spirit to help them.  These words tell me a number of things:

  1. The power of the Holy Spirit is vital to a Christians effectiveness
  2. Jesus is teaching his disciples right up to the moment He returned to His Father's side
  3. Christians are Jesus' witnesses to the world
  4. We are to reach out to the ends of the earth with the message of Jesus
We can't do this without help from the Holy Spirit.  Scripture tells us the Holy Spirit is ours for the asking, "Come Holy Spirit."


Read the Acts 1:1-9 text here.  Listen to the text here.

No comments: