Pageviews past week

Friday, November 4, 2011

John 14:1-7

You have probably noticed the scripture lessons for this week are preparing us for the All Saint's Day Celebration this coming Sunday.  For those of us reading this week who have recently lost someone we love, these selections are very pointed and poignant.  Many of the titles for the daily readings touch the hearts of mourners, caressing them with hope and healing.

I recall a number of conversations my husband, Dave, and I had in preparation for his move from this world to the next.  The conversations were amazing and usually happened when of the pastors were visiting and we started discussing a verse that was shared.  It may have been a sad time of my life but it was also a very meaningful and dare I say wonderful time as well.

Christians can prepare one another for meeting Jesus with confidence and compassion.  It is common for the question, "What will happen when I die?" to arise.  We all wonder that, even though we are confident of our destination.  As humans we sometimes are curious as to the details.  When Dave asked me that question I thought he meant, "Will I go to Heaven," while what he really meant to ask was, "If I have a new body and a new name how will you recognize me when you get there?"

These four verses from today's reading are like music to my ears.   “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” (John 14:1-4)

Read the John 14:1-7 text here.  Listen to the text here.

No comments: