Pageviews past week

Friday, November 18, 2011

Matthew 21:28-32

Actions speak louder than words.  I have heard this saying since a small child and never really gave it much thought.  The words we say do have a lot of meaning, but in the end it is what we do that backs up our words.  It is easy to spout lofty principles but they mean nothing if we don't practice what we preach.

The last thing anyone in this world needs is conflicting lessons.  During Jesus' time the Scribes and Pharisees delivered this type of message regularly.  It reminds me of another saying from childhood, “Do as I say, not as I do.”

 What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

“‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.

 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
 (Matthew 21:28-31)

We are called to repent, to believe in Jesus; to believe Jesus.  Our words matter, but our actions matter even more.  Let them know we are Christian by our love.  A bigger message here for me is, though my actions of the past were not admirable, there is grace and forgiveness.  I can turn, change, and live like John the Baptizer preached.  I can be like the son who said “no” but went anyway.  He changed his mind, he repented and he obeyed.

No comments: