Pageviews past week

Monday, December 26, 2011

Hope for a Future - Jeremiah 29:11

The verse for today is a favorite of many.  It is a verses that gives such peace to those struggling with life and battling the daily skirmishes tossed our way. I love to read the two following verses as well, for they have added meaning to my life.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:11-13) 


This was the first Christmas since my husband's death, the first Christmas celebrating with him, and while it could have been very sad, it surprisingly was not.  At church service this morning we sang many Christmas hymns, then there was a short message where the pastor asked for people to share their testimony of Christ working in their life this past year, things they were thankful to Jesus for.  There were a number of beautiful, if sad testimonies shared.  I felt prompted to say something, but it wasn't my home church so I didn't feel right.

What I would have said was that I was so thankful to God for sending His Son Jesus, Jesus, who provided salvation for us by giving up His life.  This year as I celebrate without my husband at my side, the one who loved everything about Christmas, I was not struck by the loneliness but by the awesome God we serve.  I was imagining Dave having the ultimate Christmas party, almost like a behind the scenes party, where he was at Jesus' side, worshiping and praising to the highest extent.  This verse, Jeremiah 29:11 came to mind in the midst of these thoughts.

The hope of the future in this world is bright because of Jesus and the hope of a future in the next world is more than I can take in.





No comments: