Pageviews past week

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Promises - Genesis 22:18; Galatians 3:16

The verses we have to read this week are preparing us for things to come, good things.  The stories in Genesis and in Hebrews herald the coming of a King, a redeemer and they are filled with promises of a wonderful life when lived in harmony with God's Word.

"and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.” (Genesis 22:18)

I have to admit that my life, even when I wasn't living in harmony with God's Word, felt pretty good at the time.  When I read these words I can't quite relate, as I was not always a faithful follower, but I didn't go around with tears in my eyes and an ache in my heart, like I do some days now.  Do these words shock?

Let me put it another way.  Abraham and Sarah were happy before Isaac came along.  They loved one another and must have had good times together.  Then when God's promise was fulfilled and Sarah gave birth they were happier than before, they felt like they were closer to each other and to God.  

"The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed." (Galatians 3:16)

I was happy, then I began a personal relationship with Jesus and I became happier than I had been before.  There was a missing piece in place.  God's promise of peace and hope filled my life.  The fulfillment of God's promise makes all the difference in our lives.  For me, that is why Christmas is so special, why I cling to His promises every day and why you should to.

No comments: