Pageviews past week

Sunday, January 22, 2012

1 Corinthians 10:1-13


Tempted Yet Standing
“God never gives you more than you can handle.”
Really? There have times in my life when I have questioned that. How about you?
More than once I have been to the end of a rope I was sure was frayed beyond repair. I was slipping fast, with no knot at the end to keep me from falling. Little did I know that a knot was not what I needed. Sadness, despair, loneliness, helplessness, hopelessness, frustration, grief, grief beyond words, emptiness, anxiety, depression, worthlessness, hate, shame, pain, embarrassment, guilt.

Corinthians 10 is titled Warnings From Israel’s History. It reminds us of all the things that happened to men because of their behaviors. It makes mention of the horrific fate that came to those who were sexually immoral, who engaged in pagan revelry, many who grumbled, and still others who tested the Lord. Verse eleven states; “These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. So if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall.”

I see now that He has strengthened me by seeing me through a childhood of neglect, a midlife of crisis and turmoil, and later years of blessings mixed with sorrow that enabled me to support the rest of the family when our oldest son took his own life.

We are all tempted, we all make mistakes. We all fall short, but if we heed the warnings of the Lord, and trust that he will not give us more than we can handle, we will remain strong. It is when we trust in things of this world that we become weak. ……”And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide you a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

Read the text here.

No comments: