Pageviews past week

Saturday, January 28, 2012

1 Corinthians 16:1-24

How do we do everything in love?  Two words come to mind when pondering this question; motive and attitude.  Dictionary.com defines these two words this way.  

Motive is something that causes me to act in a certain way, do a certain thing.
Attitude is manner, disposition, feeling, position, with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind: a negative attitude.

We might hear a child say, "It was an accident, I didn't mean to do it."  Sometimes when speaking to God we say the same thing. Our conscience may be convicting us of a wrong doing, and a prompting to make amends pushes us to act with a contrite heart.  When my heart is in the right place and my motives pure, but my actions didn't live up to my intentions.

There was a time when my attitude was not the best, I would allow some one else's actions affect my attitude for the day.  For example, if I were cut off in traffic and experienced a close call, that action could make me crabby the rest of the day.  Getting off on the wrong foot would make look at the day as a lost cause and it had barely begun.

Paul is teaching us to be on our guard, to stay close to Jesus.  My motives and my attitude change when I stand firm each day.  Sensing a closeness to Jesus give me a new and fresh faith every day, it gives me courage and strength I didn't know was possible.  I not only can do everything in love - I want to.  This sounds awfully simple, and it is.

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love."
(1 Corinthians 16:13-14)

No comments: