Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1 Corinthians 6:12-20

A number of years ago my niece visited for a few weeks during the summer break.  Before she returned home I wanted to take her shopping for an outfit for school.  I was planning to make it a fun time, shopping and having lunch and just hanging out together.  This expedition turned into an eye opening experience that caused me to re-examine my values.

I knew from television programs and the lack of appropriate movies to go to that society was hung up on the rich and famous, but I had been sheltered enough to be shocked at the lack of modest attire for a girl in her early teens.  We spend the better part of a day searching the stores and never did find an outfit I thought her mother might approve of.

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." (1 Corinthians 6:9-20)

This is the history repeating itself.  Reading the stories about Corinth in Paul's letters we learn that sexual immorality was a way of life.  The early church taught against such behavior and preached that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.  This was true 2000 years ago and it is true today.  We are called to glorify God with our bodies.

Read the 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 text here.  Listen to an audio reading of the 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 text here.

No comments: