Pageviews past week

Friday, January 13, 2012

1 Corinthians 8:1-13

Jesus' appearance in this world delivered mankind from death. The Messiah's purpose was to redeem our sins and wash us clean so that we could gain entry to Heaven and live eternally in glorious bliss. Before Jesus, blood had to be shed, the blood of the best animal owned, in order for atonement to occur. Jesus became that sacrifice, He is the Lamb of God, and it was His blood that changed everything.

Today, it is difficult to read this text and understand how it applies to us today. Christians do not worship idols any longer, or do we? Idols are everywhere if we are honest with ourselves. I recognize that there are times I allow something of this world, something I really enjoy and feel entitled to, to pull me away from the task Jesus has set aside for me.

The words in our reading today are applicable for us today. The message I am hearing is Love Your Neighbor. The lesson I am taking away is that my neighbor, my unbelieving neighbor, needs to feel my love. He knows that I am Christian, he sees me leaving the house every Sunday morning and going to a Worship service. This is the example I make on Sunday morning. The question now is what are the examples this same neighbor will witness Monday through Saturday?
  • "But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat and no better if we do." (1 Corinthians 8:8)
  • "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak." (1 Corinthians 8:9) 

This is what it boils down to for me. Do not allow our behaviors - even if they are permissible - to become stumbling blocks to those who are new to the faith.


Read the 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 text here.  Listen to an audio of the 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 text here.

No comments: