Pageviews past week

Friday, February 3, 2012

Matthew 5:13-16

My dog, Asa, and I were walking one of our routes today and I found trash strewn on the road.  It seemed like someone had deliberately thrown it out of their car window.  There was a pizza box, a Subway wrapper, Dairy Queen Cups and a Wal-Mart plastic bag.  I was appalled that someone would dare mar this beautiful country side with their garbage.  So, on the return trek, I picked up the Wal-Mart bag and proceeded to gather up the offending debris, returning the roadway to its original pristine state.

As I was reviewing the scripture for today's devotional I thought about this experience today.  At first I was disgusted with the behavior of people, the total lack of respect for others and for nature.  Then I tried to justify their actions but couldn't.  Finally I realized it was up to me to do something about it.  Finding a common thread from the trash to the lesson today may seem a stretch to some reading this, but it was obvious to me.

 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16)

As a Christian, I am to be the salt of the earth.  As a disciple of Jesus I am to be a preservative in this world, not conforming to worldly behavior.  It is not up to me to condemn the actions of the litterer; it is up to me to do the next right thing--pick up the trash and pray for the offenders.  When I practice being salt and light when no one sees me, perhaps practice will make perfect and my actions will reflect my heart when others might notice.



Read the Matthew 5:13-16 text here.  Listen to an audio recording of Matthew 5:13-16 here.

No comments: