Pageviews past week

Friday, March 23, 2012

John 15:1-8

I wonder how many folks go through life knowing they are good people, but assuming they will be invited into the Kingdom of Heaven.  I wonder how many truly understand who God is and how much He loves each of us.

I had a conversation a number of years ago with a co-worker who never went to church, didn't pray or read Scripture (his admission), but told me he thought he was a good person and was convinced he would get to Heaven.  His reasoning was, "I never killed anybody, I am a nice person and I am honest."

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 5:1-2)

I would never judge this persons faith or predict his future, but I do know that his everyday life could have been much more hope filled had he only gone the extra mile to build a relationship with Jesus.  His heart could be filled with Joy if only he embraced Jesus.

Sometimes I think it is scary to some to contemplate embracing Jesus with open hearts.  Verses like the one today frighten some into thinking the Christian life is painful.  Studying vineyards and the practice the gardener has of pruning can seem scary when we understand that not only dead branches are discarded, but some healthy ones as well.

But, none of our lives is easy and if we take the time to think about it, we all grow as a result of our challenges.  Looking back to seasons of grief and sadness, pain and desperation, I know that I am a better person because of those times.  It was then I turned to God and learned how much He loves. This gives new meaning to an old saying, "No pain, no gain."  For me this is very true.  You too?

Read John 15:1-8 here.

Listen to John 15:1-8 here.

No comments: