Pageviews past week

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Psalm 84

When winter is approaching often various species of birds will migrate to a warmer climate.  The amazing thing is they return again in spring.  Their pilgrimage will take them to lush, humid, tropic-like settings where they will live for a season.  How do they know the way home?  We answer by calling it 'instinct' and we all have instincts of some form or another. An instinct is an inclination toward a particular behavior that is not something learned.

The past dozen years or so, since I embraced the concept of developing a personal relationship with Jesus, the church building has taken on a new place in my heart.  Logic tells me it is just a structure made of wood and stones and metal, but my emotions tell me there is safety and peace in that structure. There are people who matter to me and love me and there is the cross; yes, the cross.  This may sound strange, but, because funerals and memorial services are held here it seems like the last place we are before going to God's real home.  I relate my church home to my heavenly home.

"How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty!  My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.   Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young-- a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God."  (Psalm 84:1-3)

Just like birds automatically know the way home following a lengthy trip south, God's people know the way home too.  While in this world my church is the place where God reveals himself to me most often.   It is the place I can feel my emotions and where I can reach out to help others.  I feel His love and the love of His people and instinctively know He is there.  My church is my home and the place where I can sing the song, "Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere." (Psalm 84:10)

Listen to the song here.

Read the text here.  Listen to a recording of the text here.

No comments: