Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Joshua 24:1, 14-18 Commission of the People




Joshua seems like such an incredible man. It’s no wonder he was the one chosen to take over for Moses once he had gone home to the Lord. In this scripture reading, just before he dies, Joshua gathers all the tribes of Israel together to remind them of the divine interventions God blessed them with during their journey to freedom. He spoke of how they were able to defeat the enemy time after time, yet reminded them that without the help of the Lord it would not have been possible. Then he gives them a choice, using what has become a well known and often quoted statement. “…. As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Isn’t that an awesome line? He was telling them; this is my stand, now you make your choice.

This reminds me of a billboard I saw several years ago.  I wrote down what it said on a deposit slip from my checkbook because it was the only paper I had, and I wanted to be sure to remember it. When I got home, I taped it on my computer desk. It read: “Try Jesus, if you don’t like Him, the devil will always take you back.”

Both God and the evil one have their arms wide open. We have the power to choose every day whom we will serve. Our eternity rests on that choice. 

Read Joshua 24:1-18 here
Listen to Joshua 24:1-18 here                                                   

No comments: