Pageviews past week

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Story - Chapter 2 - Genesis 21-22

Each of these two chapters has something I can relate with and each of these chapters brings a smile and a tear.  Were you grinning just a little bit with Sarah when she was explaining the mean of the name of her son, Isaac,(he laughs)?
 
Genesis 21:6-7 (NIV)
    "Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." 
   "And she added, "Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age." 

Sarah's joy was obvious to everyone she was near.  The dream of her life had been fulfilled.  The years of tears had come to an end.  Then, some years later Abraham was called by God to give the ultimate sacrifice of his only son, the love of his and Sarah's life.  This is a difficult chapter to soak in.  We have learned to laugh with Sarah, now we are called to grieve with Abraham as he does God's will.


Genesis 22:2 (NIV)
"Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."
    

I cannot imagine myself in Abraham's shoes; I cannot honestly say that I would not run away from God, and disobey this directive.  Abraham was an amazing human.  Yes, he was human but he had a faith I could only dream about.  To trust and obey to such an extent is beyond my comprehension.  It is one thing to claim to trust God's word when waiting for something; it is quite another to trust and obey His word after it is received.

Read Genesis 21-22 here

Listen to Genesis 21-22 here

No comments: