Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Story - Chapter 11 - 1 Samuel 24

God is so amazing that often He takes my breath away. This is Election Day and the lesson I am sensing from today’s reading affirms that God is in control. Romans 13:1-7 teaches that God has placed the government and its leaders in power. We may not know why, but like David, we are to respect the positions and roles of those to whom God has given authority.

Saul had been chasing David down for months. He felt threatened by the young man, he was jealous of him and intended on killing him. David knew this, was running from the King and hiding in a cave when King Saul was almost presented to David on a platter. Had David’s heart been like Saul’s, the King would have been killed on the spot.

When the opportunity had passed and Saul was out of harm’s way, David came out of hiding to let Saul know how close to death he had come.

(1 Samuel 24:11-12)
“See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the LORD judge between you and me. And may the LORD avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you.”

Saul and David both knew that one day the younger man would be king. David had vowed not to wipe out Saul’s descendants. This promise will lead to a very interesting story in the pages to come. But, for today, we are faced with a dilemma. The election – how do we vote, who deserves our support? I don’t know the right answer, but I do know that come Wednesday morning, God will still be King no matter who is elected as our earthly leader.

  Read 1 Samuel 24 here

Listen to 1 Samuel 24 here

No comments: