Pageviews past week

Friday, November 23, 2012

The Story - Chapter 13 - Proverbs 1-3

I must confess I have not read through the Book of Proverbs.  I have read a verse here and there but have not read this portion as I have other books of the Bible.  Recently though, I have heard of a few who have read this book every month, a chapter a day, for a year. They testify to have found great comfort and direction.  I think that may be a 2013 resolution.

Proverbs 3:5-8 (MSG) 
Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to GOD! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life!”

I simply had to use Eugene Petersen’s, The Message for these three lines.  Don’t they just speak to you? There are times when I read scripture that I need to hear plain and simple language; the kind of in-your-face talk that makes me stop and think.

When there is a difficult decision to make, or a challenging life situation facing us, these lines encourage us strongly to Run to GOD.  But, did you notice the words prior to these three?  Listen for God’s voice in everything... I have been struggling with my addiction to food, my tendency to turn to food for comfort or joy even.  I have been ruminating over the idea that I need to get serious about turning to God when I feel like this but to be perfectly honest, in my heart that didn't seem to be enough.  Of course those thoughts conjure up all sorts of guilt.

I am more convicted than ever to Run to GOD when I am searching for comfort.  And, if I needed more evidence this is what God wants, look at the last words of this selection.  Your body will glow with health.  I’m convinced, are you?  What is it you need to Run to GOD with.  What has captured your happiness, imprisoned your joy and zapped your spirit?  Run to GOD.


Read Proverbs 1-3 here

Listen to Proverbs 1-3 here

No comments: