Pageviews past week

Monday, November 26, 2012

The Story - Chapter 14 - 1 Kings 12

Where do you turn if you are looking for advice? Do you ask someone with more experience than you, someone who has been around the block a time or two, who has exemplified good living, a faithful servant of God? Or do you prefer to go to a peer, a person who thinks and behaves as you do? I guess it all depends on if you are truly looking for wisdom, or the easy way out; if you are looking to do the right thing, or the popular thing.

1 Kings 12:4, 6 (NIV) 
"Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you. Then King Rehoboam consulted the elders who had served his father Solomon during his lifetime. "How would you advise me to answer these people?" 

Rehoboam was on the right track when he went to the elders for counsel, but he rejected their words. He then asked the young men who had grown up with him and they led him astray. Their recommendation was self-serving and foolish, but it appealed to the new king. So, he determined not to change for the better, but to make things even harsher, and more painful for his people.

If I have learned nothing else from Solomon’s life I have learned the value of Wisdom. I have learned that I need only turn to God and ask for this wonderful gift and it will be given. When we seek truth, search out solutions to difficult questions, or strive to do God’s will, we will obtain answers when we pray for wisdom.

I find that God will often put a person in my path that is much wiser than I, who has been on a faith journey for longer than I. This person generally speaks the words I need to hear. God blessed Solomon with Wisdom, He will do the same for us.

Read 1 Kings 12 here

Listen to 1 Kings 12 here

No comments: