Pageviews past week

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Story - Chapter 14 - 1 Kings 14


King Jeroboam had serious trouble in the family.  His son was deathly ill and needed help.  The king remembered enough about his past life to know who to turn to when in big trouble, but he also knew what reception he might receive if he asked for help.  That is why he had his wife approach the prophet while in disguise, keeping her identity hidden.  Guilt and shame will cause us to behave like this.  But the prophet had received word from God about the visitor and was given instruction to share this message.

1 Kings 14:7-9 (NIV)
“Go, tell Jeroboam that this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'I raised you up from among the people and made you a leader over my people Israel. I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes. You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made for yourself other gods, idols made of metal; you have provoked me to anger and thrust me behind your back.”

Who of us has not at one time or another thought about what it will be like on judgment day?  I wonder how these words affected the king. I like to think they would have been the beginning of big changes, but reading a bit further, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Jeroboam is facing the consequences of his actions.  His reign has brought the people to destruction; their belief in false gods, idol worship, all in violation of God’s commands.  Just five years after Solomon’s death, the Temple and palace were ransacked by foreign invaders.  Once the people became morally corrupt and spiritually desolate, it didn't take long until they lost everything.

There are a number of lessons in the words for today, and my take-away is to be faithful and obedient always.  It is imperative we stay close to God, in His Word daily, offering praise and worship regularly and praying continually. 


Read 1 Kings 14 here

Listen to 1 Kings 14 here

No comments: