Pageviews past week

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Christians are the Aroma of Christ


I have not been blessed with movie star looks. I sometimes rub people the wrong way and can even bristle at the most trivial of things. I have numerous bad habits, and can be a thorn in some people’s side.
If I were a plant,
I would be a cactus
I just mowed the lawn and finished putting down mulch. I need a shower. In spite of all this, I am the aroma of Christ. In fact, all Christians are the aroma of Christ!
 
Today’s reading, 2 Corinthians 2:5-17, is about the relationship between Jesus, his Church and its members.
 
Two things struck me in the reading. The first thought is contained in verse 10 and spoken by Paul. “If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven – if there is anything to be forgiven – I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake.”  When a Christian forgives someone, it is the same as Christ forgiving them.
 
We are connected with Christ in our congregation through the power of the Word and Sacraments. We were delegated Christ’s assignment when he ascended to heaven.  And part of Jesus’ job on Earth was to announce the forgiveness of sins. So that is our assignment too.
 
When we forgive, Christ forgives!
 
The second thing was contained in verses 14 and 15, “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ.”
 
Since we are connected with Christ, we also have the assignment of sharing the Good News of Jesus with the world. Carrying out this assignment is an aroma pleasing to God. And we know we will triumph.
 
We have the Holy Spirit which gives everything to carry out our task.
 
I am not worthy of this task. Ask my wife and she will list many more flaws than I mentioned above. If I were a plant, I would be a cactus.
 
But the Holy Spirit would still gives me a big flower, that would be the aroma of Christ pleasing to God!

No comments: