Pageviews past week

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Know God

John 17:1-5

Someone drops a name and you say, “Oh sure, I know him.” I’ve done that many times, but what I really mean is “I know of him,” or “I know who he is.”

The Encarta Dictionary has a multitude of definitions for the word know, including words and phrases like; acquainted, become aware of, familiar with, recognize and have information in the mind. The one closest to what knowing God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit means is: to have a thorough understanding of something through experience or study

Though we cannot experience our Lord in the flesh, we can absorb His spirit and become what he wants us to be through consistently striving to grow in Him.

We have been offered the framework for doing just that, through His Word;

 “Be still, and know that I am God.”  Psalm 46:10

“Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 3:18

“I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.” Proverbs 8:17

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep an my sheep know me." John 10:14

Getting to truly know and understand someone can be life changing. For example, if you
keep your distance from your superior in the workplace, speculate about his character, 
and talk with others who do the same it leads to distance and mistrust. On the contrary, if 
you pursue a relationship with him, take time to talk with him and try to understand who he 
really is and why he does what he does, you may become a key employee, instrumental in 
carrying out the company’s mission.

With God as well, the key is understanding. It’s all GRACE, yet we cannot understand Him 
unless we consistently attempt to understand just what Grace is and learn God’s nature and 
character as revealed in His works and word.

When we make time to listen to what the Bible has to tell us and humbly open our hearts to 
receive it, the Holy Spirit will assist us with applying it to our lives, offering us peace and 
wisdom to carry on. And one day be glorified in His presence.

Read/Listen to John 17:1-5

No comments: