Pageviews past week

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Abraham Shows Hospitality

At this moment as I begin to write about hospitality, my doorbell rings. The young man at my door is canvasing for a political candidate. This is rare in my neighborhood, and especially at this time of day. He has a lot to say. I listen and answer his questions, while thinking I need to be back at my desk. It’s a warm afternoon. As he walks away I ask if he would like a bottle of water. With a smile he says “Yes, thanks so much.” As I return to my desk, I’m reminded of the simplest ways we can show hospitality, and I ponder the timing of this unannounced visit.

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”  Matthew 10:42

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews13:2.

As Paul exhorted the Roman believers to be given to hospitality, Romans 12:13 he was referring to the Greek word for hospitality “filoxenia”, “showing love to strangers.”

Simply put, hospitality is making strangers into guests, making people feel they matter. Hospitality is a gift and a responsibility at the same time. We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves. If hospitality is not one of our gifts, we can learn and model the practice of it until it flows from us as a gift to others. My parents and my son had the sweet fragrant gift of hospitality. Surely they must be part of heaven’s hospitality table.

Genesis 18:1-10 is one of many Bible stories of hospitality. The LORD appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day --

Don’t miss this story, and please don’t miss sacred opportunities to practice hospitality and be given to hospitality.


No comments: