Pageviews past week

Thursday, August 27, 2015

What Can You Do? What Will You Do?

Have you ever been in an unfamiliar place and someone made you feel welcome? Maybe you were anxious and somebody put you at ease?
Forbidden City, Beijing
 
I was in Beijing several years ago, on business. We were trying to see if our product line could be sold in China. Our team consisted of myself, a few Chinese people residing in the United States and our Chinese hosts.
 
A few street signs and shop signs had their English meaning in small letters underneath, but for the most part I had little idea what I was looking at. Since Chinese is a tonal language, I was warned not to speak any words in Chinese. I was as likely to insult somebody as to get help.
 
The second full day there, as I was beginning to get over jet lag, my hosts took the entire team out to dinner. It was quite a feast. We had tilapia, squid, jelly fish, crab, turtle soup, bird’s nest soup, scallops, oysters and other things I purposely ate without asking.
 
I liked the crab legs; they preferred the liver and roe. It seems the legs are considered garbage food in Beijing. So I was known as “man who eat garbage.” (And they graciously gave me their ‘garbage’ to devour!)
 
By the end of the day, I was at ease and felt very welcomed.
 
Today’s reading is Genesis 23:1-9. Abraham’s wife, Sarah, had just died. Living in Canaan, a foreign land, among the Hittites, Abraham needed a place to bury his wife. Because God promised Abraham that his descendents would inhabit Canaan, the Promised Land, Abraham wanted is wife to be buried there.
 
The grieving Abraham was no doubt anxious. Would the Hittites sell a foreigner some land?
 
The Hittite leaders did sell him land, giving him his choice for a burial plot. Abraham must have been relieved.
 
When we meet someone new to the faith, or is exploring the faith, they might be anxious. After all, Christianity is new to them. In a sense, they are in foreign territory.
 
What can you do to reach out to a new face at church and help put that person at ease?
 
What will you do?

No comments: