Pageviews past week

Monday, October 26, 2015

And They Follow Me

My sheep listen to my voice. I know them, and they follow me. 
One morning in July of 2005 in Eastern Turkey, a group of shepherds left their flock to get breakfast. While they were gone, one of the little sheep jumped off a cliff to his death. When the shepherds returned, they helplessly watched as the rest of the flock followed. Nearly 1,500 sheep leaped off the cliff that day, for no reason other than they followed the sheep ahead of them

In John 10, Jesus affectionately refers to believers as his sheep. While the thought of Jesus being our shepherd is endearing and a comfort, being called sheep isn't exactly a compliment. Sheep are not known for their intelligence. They are prone to wander and are easily lost. Sheep are directionless. They become restless. They are dependent upon their shepherd...whose voice they recognize and obey.

We sound a lot like sheep, don't we? The Lord isn't impressed with human intelligence. 1 Corinthians 3:19 says, "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight.We all wander from Jesus and try to do life on our own, only to find ourselves lost and hopeless. Isaiah 53:6 says, "We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way." We become restless with life and susceptible to chase anything that promises happiness. But when we follow the Lord, he replaces the restlessness with fulfillment and peace. Psalm 23:2 says, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters..."

It is not uncommon for multiple herds of sheep to graze or sleep together. There is no way to distinguish one shepherd's herd from another; but they don't need to! The shepherd calls for his sheep, and they follow him because they recognize his voice. Let's take a look at John 10:


Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.” - John 10:22-29

We are vulnerable and easily distracted by life's challenges. We get led astray and believe lies Satan whispers to us. We come dirty and thirsty with nothing to offer. Yet we are so dearly loved by the Good Shepherd who lay his life down for us. We know his voice, and he knows us intimately. He offers eternity to his flock, and promises that we are safe in his hands, and in the hands of his Father. Vulnerable and helpless is a good thing to be. It makes me a sheep. And it makes me His own. 



  

No comments: