Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

How to Pray (Matthew 6:5-15)

Matthew 6:5-15

This is a hard one to write.  Prayer is intensely personal. This I know, prayer is the fine silver thread that keeps us tethered to Him and must not be broken.

As a prelude to how we should pray, Jesus stresses the deep intimacy of prayer.  “Do this privately – not for the eyes and ears of any but your Father.” 

Within the model Jesus set out, (known to us as The Lord’s Prayer,) we are to remember the sovereignty of God’s nature, to honor His name, to seek and desire His Kingdom of peace and righteousness in the world, to ask to be fed THIS DAY ONLY. His mandate to forgive others leaves no wiggle room. This we must do if we are to receive His forgiveness that leads to life everlasting.

We worry and wonder about how we should pray.

Intent and length of prayer -

The Pharisee: “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.” Luke 18:11

The tax collector:  'God, be merciful to me, the sinner! Luke 18:12

George Baily:  (It’s a Wonderful Life) “God I’m not a praying man, but please show me the way.”

Weary, broken and grieving -

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groaning’s too deep for words. Romans 8:26

Jesus Praying: “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”  Luke 22:42

The Apostle Paul:

Rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1Thessalonians 5-16-18


No comments: