Pageviews past week

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Trust and Obey - is there any other way?

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (Matthew 14:27)

Many times in life I do not feel courageous.  In fact, I am downright fearful. There are challenges that cause me to hesitate. I doubt my ability to successfully maneuver new situations.  I seem to lose faith in my own abilities. 

The telling phrase is 'my own abilities'. Whenever I consider going out on my own, trusting my own abilities and not turning to God for whatever I will need to accomplish the task, fear has an inroad.


I am not alone. Once I acknowledge this I discover there is One who is there, at my side, ready to give me courage. I must keep my eyes on the One, or like Peter, I'll sink into my fears. The waves of trouble with wash over me and I will feel as though I am drowning in my circumstances.

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. (Matthew 14:32)

Here's the issue; I realize I am afraid of are the things of this world: financial security, getting older, being alone -- and there are still 'those days' when it is difficult to put on a brave front and walk with confidence. But, knowing that Jesus is in the boat with me, makes all the difference.

Matthew 14:22-33

No comments: