Pageviews past week

Friday, May 13, 2016

1 Corinthians 12:12-26

Imagine That

One of my favorite come back phrases is “imagine that.” I generally use it in a light hearted way when I’m told something that is not really surprising, like “The Brewers lost.” or when my daughter says, “I’m going to be late.” Either aloud or in my mind I say, “Imagine that” and then I smile.

I do imagine many things, but I also hope, dream and pray. At times I pray so long and hard I become exhausted because it seems my prayers will go unanswered.

Often my prayers are for healing people both physically and emotionally, but most of the time my prayers revolve around relationships and peace. Our God is a relational God, and the bible screams with pleas for people to love and respect one another. The letter Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 12 about the body having many parts is a beautiful expression of how we as The Body of Christ are to view ourselves and each other.

We are all different yet part of the same body,  The Body of Christ. We need each other. When one part feels less significant, that one must be taken care of and honored by the other parts.

“so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored every part rejoices with it.” 1 Corinthians 12:25-26

This speaks to jealousy, envy, passing judgment, and a host of other negatives that divide us. I long for this type unity in relationships within families, churches, communities, and the world in general, but that type of peace and unity begins with me and you.

We are all part of something so big and great we can’t even imagine. “But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be?” 1 Corinthians 12:18-19

United we stand, divided we fall.

Oh what a world we could have if only we would see ourselves as one. What a difference we could make if The Body of Christ had an attitude of togetherness, continually honoring and supporting each other!

Just Imagine That!

 Read/Listen to 1 Corinthians 12:12-26


No comments: