Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Happy Are Those (The Beatitudes)




Happy are those!

Jesus describes those who are happy and blessed. He turns our idea of happiness on its head!

We are prone to think happiness is to be financially and socially secure. Jesus says the happy ones are those who are poor in spirit, (humbly aware of their poverty outside of Him, on all levels.)

We say happiness is not to be sad. Jesus says those who mourn will be happy. “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4  (Joy is a "Holy Spirit gift and posture" of disciples of Jesus.)

We may think it is the powerful who are happy in their momentary and limited sphere of influence. Jesus says it is the meek, the humble, the merciful - those who are peacemakers who are happy.

Sometimes we think it is the “I did it my way and got away with it people” who are happy. Jesus says it is those who hunger and thirst for righteousness and are pure in heart, who are happy. Set apart doesn’t mean set aside in the Master’s Kingdom.

We reckon that we will be happy if we are socially popular, interesting and respected. Jesus says the happy ones are those who are persecuted, reviled, insulted and have evil things said against them.

What sort of happiness and blessedness is this that welcomes persecution, poverty and humility?

“My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn or deserve it.” 

No comments: