Pageviews past week

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Someone Does Care

John 11:21 (NIV)
"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died." 

Who among us hasn't at one time or another said, "There has to be more to life than this!" A statement like this is often uttered while we are hanging on by a thread. We cry these words during the seasons in life when we are overcome by our own helplessness.

Have you ever found yourself in such a place of despair and grief?

When we don't have faith that there is Someone who will pull us out of our pit of misery, we are forced to wallow in our troubles. Many situations bring us to the place where we just want to lay down and let the world pass by. 

The day I found myself at this juncture, I knew I had a decision to make; either find a way to change, or drown in despair. Either climb out of the pit of meaninglessness and desperate living, or settle in and allow the quicksand of my life to swallow me whole.
Martha's words to Jesus are filled with sorrow. They are also filled with faith. She knew that Jesus did make the difference between life and death. The rest of her words in John 11:22 attest to this faith. "But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask." Martha understood that Jesus knew the Father intimately and spoke to Him constantly. 

It wasn't long after acknowledging the pain life was doling out, that I arrived at my first in-depth Bible study.  It was Breaking Free, by Beth Moore. The verses that spoke into my life and my heart that season were from Isaiah 61:1 and fulfilled in Luke 4:18 -- "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed..."

So, is your life filled with joy and hope, or are you still trying to climb out of that pit all on your own? Please connect with me, lets talk it over.

John 11:17-27

No comments: