Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Centurion Trusted Jesus



January 1994
I was met at the San Salvador airport by a representative of Atlanta-based Children's Cross Connection. San Salvador was under martial law and I would need an official representative to speak for me. I was closing out a cardiovascular scanning service in Atlanta, donating aged capital equipment to the Children’s Charity Hospital in San Salvador. I was on site to install equipment at the hospital.  Anxious mothers stood waiting in line with their children to be monitored.

After many attempts to install the scanner, it became clear the mother board of the old scanner had been damaged during shipment. Disappointment was evident on faces of the hospital staff and anxious mothers. I could not help but cry and tell the chief cardiologist how sorry I was. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, “don’t worry Miss, God will provide all new equipment for us through you.” I will never forget his child-like statement of faith as my own spirit was exclaiming “through me this is not possible.” Within 3 months his faith was honored in a most miraculous way!

The Roman centurion of Luke’s account is the only man in the New Testament of whom Jesus said, ‘The kind of faith this man has, I have not found anywhere, not even in Israel." That a pagan Roman centurion would openly state his faith in Jesus power to heal his child was astonishing to Jesus and to the Jews, the heirs of salvation.

Of the centurions mentioned in the New Testament, every one of them is spoken of in a noble light; the centurion who stood at the cross, and seeing what transpired said, “truly, this man was the Son of God.” Cornelius, the centurion was the first Gentile to come to faith, according to the book of Acts after the formation of the church on the Day of Pentecost.

Puritan John Trapp said, “It is the nature of faith to believe God upon his bare word. It will not beset sense; it cannot beset reason. The Lord Jesus will receive anyone who truly trusts Him, no matter how many barriers may "seem to stand in the way."



No comments: