Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Do Not Be Anxious



When we are captured by worry and anxiety over people or possessions we miss the riches of God. 
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19 
We miss the joy of knowing the One who brings peace to our bodies, minds and spirits. This is the conclusion I reach when I read Jesus' words; "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32       
Jesus said, “where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”  We show the world where our hearts are by how we spend time and money. When we are hostage to fear of scarcity and illusions of security, we limit our exploration and enjoyment of God’s riches. Jesus talked with simple, yet beautiful words as he described the lilies of the fields and the song birds as they daily “do their thing” without worry or limitations. 
Jesus calls us to consider the treasure of our hearts, to awareness of which kingdom we are seeking. When He is our treasure and our Shepherd, anxiety and worry have no residence within us.
Along with Luke 12:32, precious to me in times of worry and sadness is the 23rd Psalm. I can rest in the arms of my Good Shepherd, knowing His mercy and goodness will follow me all the days of my life.

When my grandsons were very young and worried about things common to children, I would walk ahead of them saying “look, mercy and goodness are following me.” They began to think of mercy and goodness as real people. Their dad went home to the Lord when they were 12 and 9 years old. I often remind them that God’s goodness and mercy followed their dad in life and in death, and that it will follow them all the way to Heaven! 

No comments: