Pageviews past week

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Don't Worry About It



Today’s passage comes at the perfect time.  Since yesterday’s election, the internet has been bombarded with differing opinions.  One side of the aisle claims that everything will now be fixed while the other says we are all doomed.   We are such a polarized nation, but both parties had one thing in common on Tuesday.  Before the results were reported both sides were consumed with worry.  

Both parties were worried that if the “wrong” candidate won, we were fated for disaster.  Matthew 6:25-34 has something to say about that. I’m sure you have been told, “No matter who wins, remember God is still on the thrown and Jesus is still King.”  Yes, that is true.  Very true.  Matthew’s message is even more personal than that. 

Verse 25 says, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear…”  Verse 26 reads, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?”

Don’t miss that, “ARE YOU NOT MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN THEY?”  God loves you.  He has a plan for you.  He has numbered the hairs on your head.   So, what do we do when we are consumed with worry?  Verse 33 answers that question, “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  To seek his kingdom, we must take our attention away from what is causing us to worry.

Maybe you’re not concerned with politics but your family is going through a tragedy.  Perhaps your job is consuming your thoughts day and night.  So many things take us down a path of worry.  Take some time and seek God’s kingdom.  Write down a memory verse and focus on that when the worry creeps in.  Pray that God will show you how to focus on his will for you and not your worry. 

Heavenly Father,

Please help me in my time of worry.  I can’t control everything that is going on around me and so I give it to you.  I know you love me and you have a plan for me.  Show me how to seek your kingdom and not my worry.

In Jesus Name, Amen.




No comments: