Pageviews past week

Friday, February 10, 2017

Jesus' Sacrifice is my Salvation

Having grown up in the Catholic church I was familiar with the concept of sacrifice. We talked about it in catechism class and even before then. Reading Bible stories and recognizing the sacrifice of many of the saints, I was motivated to practice this too. I am not sure if I was taught this, or if this is just where my mind went, but I began to practice 'giving up things' so that I might get something.

For instance, I was under the impression if I sacrificed enough, God would do something that I wanted Him to do. Like change my parents and/or change my life. Often it was even more simple situations. If I wanted to go to grandma's house (which was my respite), I was under the illusion God would make it happen if I gave up something, like a candy bar or dessert.

I had a totally unreal understanding of sacrifice the Bible speaks of. Sacrifice is only about giving up something, if that something is sin. Biblical sacrifice is all about confession and repentance then asking for forgiveness. Back in the day, God's people experienced forgiveness once a year, on the day of atonement. That had to have been one long year.

In my youth I viewed sacrifice as something I did to get something I wanted. Now, after years of struggle and self-examination and hours of clinging to the feet of Jesus, I understand that Jesus was the one who sacrificed - whose blood was shed. I am the recipient of His sacrifice. And I don't have to wait until the right day of the year to confess and beg forgiveness. Every minute of every day is a good time to confess and heal my brokenness.

Hebrews 10:1-10

No comments: