Pageviews past week

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Fear and love the Lord

March 11

Read Deuteronomy 6:1-19 and reflect on the passage.

Fear is a simple word…or is it? Let’s look below the surface, beyond the puzzling call to “be afraid of” the Lord, our God.

“Fearing God” takes on new depth when we realize that He desires to reveal Himself. He helps us have a proper response to His holiness. He is the source of profound, deep-seated insights that propel our hearts to adore Him as number One!

Fear includes awe. His sacred authority inspires not only dread of His pure holiness and wrath, but also wonder and incredible respect for His unending love, kindness, long-suffering ways, patience, wisdom, understanding, mercy, and grace.

Holy fear is fueled when we think about God, and what He has done. Somehow, dwelling on such thoughts begins to create a longing to obey Him. The more we immerse ourselves in the pursuit to know Him, the smaller we become, and the more wondrous He becomes. He reveals himself when we ponder His Word and think about Him. There is always more of Him. He is limitless; more love, more glory…

It takes time with Him, and the work of His Spirit, to help us develop deep- seated adoration worthy of our Savior and God.

Questions

1. How much did Jesus focus on His Heavenly Father? How much do I focus on God as I move through a typical day?

2. What visible reminders would help me focus on God as I walk through life? Am I reaching the next generation in my daily walk?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit: My broken flesh keeps me from focusing on You. Forgive me. I need Your help. Show me Your ways. Amen.

—Gail Crosser

No comments: