Pageviews past week

Friday, April 7, 2017

Love with actions

7 ApriL                                                       

Read 1 John 3:16-24 and reflect on the passage.

In this scripture, John calls us to live and love sacrificially for others. Jesus is the personification and truest form of sacrificial love, one that could never truly be matched; but good earthly parents can often demonstrate sacrificial love.

When I first became a mother, I remember calling my mom and telling her “thank you” because I could more fully understand the love she had for me. It wasn’t until I took on the title of “mom” that I could express motherly love to my children.

Likewise, as believers, when we accept Jesus as our Savior, we take on the title of Christ-ian and have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to help us love others. Just as parenthood can transform a person’s perception of love to a child, becoming a Christian can transform us to loving others sacrificially.

In The Message translation of this verse it says that when we see someone in need and have the means to do something about it, but don’t, God’s love disappears. Let us extend God’s love through our sacrificial love to others, rather than stopping the flow of this great love.

Questions

1. How might you demonstrate God’s sacrificial love to someone in your life?

2. Who might you be able to thank for showing God’s love to you?

Prayer

Dear Lord, give me opportunities today, throughout Lent, and beyond to show your love to others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

—Jessica Efird

No comments: